top of page

Group

Public·22 members
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Old School Wheels 1.45


Our Clear Purple Cruiser Wheels were designed to be ideal for carving and cruising, but are also one heck of a freeride wheel! The high rebound urethane is well-suited any type of riding. It will leave fat thane lines but is surprisingly resilient! The square-lipped design grips when you need it but can still be pushed out for a smooth slide thanks to the characteristics of the urethane itself. The wheels measure 69mm in diameter, 78a in hardness and are sold in a set of four wheels. Each set weights roughly 1.45 pounds.




Old School Wheels 1.45



Handbuilt in Utah, US, and rigorously tested for build quality and heat tolerance, these are some of the strongest and most reliable carbon wheels available. At 22mm wide and 45mm deep, they handle obediently in all wind and speed conditions.


While the DT Swiss 350 hubs are fairly portly, the overall weight will still flatter your bike, and they accelerate and climb well for aero wheels. Braking with the supplied grey pads is reliable if not remarkable.


Photos of Interstate 5 posted on social media showed the freeway in disarray, with semi-trucks and cars sitting askew, stuck in mud that in some cases surpassed their wheels. Not an inch of asphalt was visible.


On October 2, 1942, Bell test pilot Bob Stanley lifted the wheels of the jet off the lake bed for the airplane's first "official flight" (it had actually lifted off for the first time on the previous day during high-speed taxi tests) and the turbojet revolution belatedly got underway in this country. Like all of the early turbojets, the Airacomet was woefully underpowered and it required extremely long takeoff rolls. This, plus the fact that the new turbojet engines had a nasty habit of flaming out, confirmed the wisdom of selecting the vast 44-square mile expanse of the lake bed to serve as a landing field. In years to come, it would become a welcome haven to countless pilots in distress.


That same year, the USAF Test Pilot School moved to Edwards from Wright Field. The curriculum focused on the traditional field of performance testing and the relatively new field of stability and control which had suddenly assumed critical importance with the dramatic increases in speed offered by the new turbojets. Increasingly, as the aircraft and their onboard systems became evermore complex throughout the 50s, those selected for admission to the school would have to be far more than just outstanding pilots; they would also have to have the type of formal technical backgrounds which would enable them to thoroughly understand all of the systems they would be evaluating and permit them to translate their experiences into the very precise jargon of the engineer.


By any standard, the 1950s was a remarkable period in the history of aviation and there was no better evidence of this than what transpired at Edwards where, if a concept seemed feasible--or even just desirable--it was evaluated in the skies above the sprawling 300,000-acre base. When NACA test pilot Scott Crossfield first arrived on base in 1950, he found it "hard to believe that this primeval environment was the center of aviation's most advanced flying." He likened it to an "Indianapolis of the air." "But it was more than that," he concluded: It was "an Indianapolis without rules" because the test pilots at Edwards "lived with the feeling that everything we were doing was something that probably had never been attempted or even thought of before." Crossfield would become most closely identified with the series of experimental aircraft that had been launched with the X-1 and certainly the most publicized activity at Edwards throughout the 50s continued to be in the realm of flight research where the limits of time, space, and the imagination were dramatically expanded. The experimental rocket planes, for example, continued to expand the boundaries of the high-speed and stratospheric frontiers. As the decade opened, the first-generation X-1's Mach 1.45 (957 mph) and 71,902 feet represented the edge of the envelope. These marks were soon surpassed by the D-558-II Douglas Skyrocket. In 1951, Douglas test pilot Bill Bridgeman flew it to a top speed of Mach 1.88 (1,180 mph) and a peak altitude of 74,494 feet. Then, in 1953, Marine test pilot Lt. Col. Marion Carl flew it to an altitude of 83,235 feet and, on November 20 of that year, the NACA's Scott Crossfield became the first man to reach Mach 2, as he piloted the Skyrocket to a speed of Mach 2.005 (1,291 mph). Less than a month later, Maj. Chuck Yeager obliterated this record as he piloted the second-generation Bell X-1A to a top speed of Mach 2.44 (1,650 mph) and, just nine months later, Maj. Arthur "Kit" Murray flew the same airplane to a new altitude record of 90,440 feet. These records stood for less than three years as, in September 1956, Capt. Iven Kincheloe became the first man to soar above 100,000 feet, as he piloted the Bell X-2 to a then-remarkable altitude of 126,200 feet. Flying the same airplane, just weeks later, on September 27, Capt. Mel Apt became the first man to exceed Mach 3, as he accelerated to a speed of Mach 3.2 (2,094 mph). His moment of glory was tragically brief, however. Just seconds after attaining top speed, the X-2 tumbled violently out of control and Apt was never able to recover it. With the loss of the X-2, the search for many of the answers to the riddles of high-Mach flight had to be postponed until the arrival of the most ambitious of all the rocket planes--the truly awesome North American X-15.


With the decline of the military manned space mission in the early 70s, the Aerospace Research Pilot School was once again redesignated the USAF Test Pilot School and the change was more than symbolic. Based on a survey of graduates still active in the flight test business, the school completely revamped its curriculum to reflect major changes which had recently taken place. Experiences with aircraft such as the F-111 had demonstrated that the proliferation of increasingly sophisticated onboard avionics, sensor, and fire control systems would be a constant and that the supervision of test programs would increasingly require strong management skills. Thus the school replaced the space-oriented phase of its curriculum with a whole new battery of courses which focused on systems test and test management.


The eighties opened with one of the major episodes in all of Edwards history as, at 10:20:57 (Pacific Time) on April 14, 1981, the base was once again the scene of high drama, as the Space Shuttle Columbia's wheels touched down on historic Rogers Dry Lake. Astronauts John Young and Robert Crippen had just successfully landed the first orbiting space vehicle ever to leave the earth under rocket power and return on the wings of an aircraft; and a new era--the era of reusable space vehicles--had dawned. It seemed only fitting that Columbia should make its first landings at Edwards where so many major milestones in flight had been accomplished and where so many of the shuttle's antecedents had proven the concepts which had made it possible. It had only been a little over 30 years since Chuck Yeager had first penetrated the sonic "wall." Within two years, pilot-astronauts were almost routinely flying an operational space vehicle at speeds in excess of Mach 24. In that relatively short interval between the X-1 and the shuttle, the mysteries of hypersonic flight, lifting reentry, and aerothermodynamics had all been fathomed and mastered by flight researchers at Edwards.


The American Legion Hall was built in 1922 as the temporary home of the Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church. When the American Legion took possession of the building on June 4, 1935, it quickly became a meeting place for every fraternal group, social group, and professional organization in Greybull. It was used by the schools (the elementary and junior high schools were only a block north) to accommodate classes for which they had no space, most notably for band practice, music classes, and kindergarten. It was a polling place until at least 1955.


Less common are medicine wheels, cairn lines and stone effigies. The Bear Creek Ranch Medicine Wheel roughly conforms to the conventional conception of a medicine wheel. It has a central cairn or circle, several ''spokes'' radiating out from this center, an outer ring, and several outlying figures. Some studies have suggested that many stone figures on the Northern Plains may be monuments or memorials to important persons and events. Many of the figures may be aligned with solar or celestial phenomena, or may be depictions of mythical or legendary figures.


The Big Horn Academy Historic District includes the Big Horn Academy constructed in 1916 of rusticated sandstone and the Cowley Gymnasium/Community Hall built in 1936 of lodgepole pine logs. The historic district is significant for its primary role in the development of education in Cowley and the Big Horn Basin. The Big Horn Academy was the first high school in the Big Horn Basin and in Cowley; the Gymnasium was the first constructed in Cowley.


The Mormon people came to the Big Horn Basin in 1900 in response to a call from their church president to colonize the west. An added incentive came from William F. Cody (Buffalo Bill) who had acquired state permits to appropriate water along the Shoshone River. In 1907 the Mormons started construction in Cowley of a stone school house, a part of which was allocated to the use of a more advanced academic enterprise which they would call the Big Horn Academy. Its program was essentially that of a high school, although in the context of that time it was thought of almost as a college.


The Mormon church planned to rotate the Big Horn Academy every few years between the towns of Lovell, Byron, and Cowley where the program would be housed in available facilities. However, the school never made it to Byron and in 1913 the LDS authorities started planning the construction of a permanent building to house the Academy. The old stone school house was torn down and the new school building was completed in 1916 at a cost of $40,000. 041b061a72


About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

bottom of page